Costa Rica is a tropical Paradise acclaimed by many tourists’ thanks to its great natural biodiversity and its traditional “Pura vida” expression that perfectly describes their people, their culture and their landscapes. Here you can read 10 interesting facts about Costa Rica that you probably didn’t know.
1. Did you know that Costa Rica National Theatre ceiling is one of the most beautiful of the world? This painting is internationally known and it’s called “The happiness of coffee and bananas”.
2. Costa Rica has only 51.100km2. However it contains nearly 6 percent of the world’s biodiversity. Over a quarter of its territory is protected under the National Parks System.
3. Costa Rica has a very mysterious secret: huge stone spheres that are almost 1600 years old, made by their ancestors. This spheres were declared World Heritage by UNESCO, this honor was also gift to other places in Costa Rica: La Amistad National Park, Coco Island National Park and Guanacaste Conservation Area.
4. Ticos (as the referred to themselves in Costa Rica) don’t have an army since 1948 and it was the first country to abolish it. There are only 25 countries in the world without military defense.
5. Has over 200 volcanic formations and over 100 of them are active volcanoes. Arenal, Poás and Irazú are the most popular among tourists.
6. It’s the birthplace of Canopy. It’s true that the system was already being used, but Costa Rica was the first country that used it for touristic purposes.
7. Has over 1282 kilometers of beach shores. Sun and waves lovers have a lot of options available in both Pacific and Atlantic Ocean. Yes, Costa Rica is surrounded by both oceans.
8. Costa Rica’s capital (San José), was the third city with artificial lighting, after New York and Paris.
9. Is not only one the happiest countries in the world, but also one of the countries with the longest life expectancy.
10. Coffee is the favorite beverage of the “ticos” and it’s the main exportation product. It was introduced from Jamaica in 1779.
There’s a lot of interesting facts about this beautiful country that you need to know. We want you to know Costa Rica and discover it yourself. Remember that the best way to do it is with a vehicle from Economy Rent a Car.